Mount St. Mary Academy has some exciting things planned for the New Academic Vision taking effect in the 2019-2020 school year. Our teachers and administrators have been hard at work and we’re eager to share some of those plans with the MSM community.
We have many exciting changes planned:
- We will be phasing out and eliminating the New York State Regents exams as our final assessment tool.
- MSM will focus on assessments, which include capstone projects, group projects, written reports, and other forms of summative assessment that encourage growth in content mastery as well as communicating, collaborating, problem-solving, researching, writing, and working as a team.
- Paper and pen tests are not going away, but one high-stakes test at the end of the academic year will not be the focus of classroom learning.
- Beginning with the incoming Class of 2023, we will increase the number of credits required for graduation, and students will earn a Mount St. Mary Academy diploma.
- We will create three new academic centers in STEAM, Humanities, and Languages, to encourage robust, interdisciplinary collaboration.
- MSM will build a new Makerspace where students will experience interactive, learning that blends technology and creativity.
- Our students will experience a greater focus on wellness, and we will continue to emphasize relationship-building within our school community.
- We will all be active members of Service and Justice Week, set for January 2020. It will be a time that will bring our Catholic teachings to life and provide experiential learning opportunities designed to emphasize diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Thank you to everyone who has supported this journey so far. We believe this is the best path for the education and empowerment of the young women who are entrusted into our care, and we can’t wait to get started.
Thank you to everyone who has made a donation in support of our new projects. To contribute, click here.